Dormitory-net Management Measures and Configure Setting Instruction
- Any person who resides in the campus dormitory is certainly qualified to use the dormitory-net. Students using the dormitory-net have to have a personal computer (PC), a Network Interface Card (NIC) (RJ-45 interface), and one unshielded twisted pair (UTP).
- The NIC and network line installed by students themselves must match the standard so as to reduce the breakdown rate and improve the network efficiency. If the quality of dormitory-net is affected due to students’ NIC and network line, students need to replace them with proper ones to make sure the quality will not be affected again.
- In the beginning of every academic year or after changing rooms, students must change their original IP address to the re-assigned one.
- Users of dormitory-net must comply with the network Usage Regulations and other related regulations passed by NSYSU.
5.1 Every individual will be assigned one IP Address. The assigned IP Address will be restricted for only one computer. Please do not do repetitive addressing, or you may not be able to get on-line.
5.2 The IP Address has something to do with the smoothness of transmission speed, so it is absolutely prohibited to use others’ IP Address to get on-line. Please do not set it without authorization, or you may bother yourself or other people. The individual who sets an IP Address without authorization or uses an unauthorized IP Address will be deprived of the right to access to the Internet.
5.3 Any individual user who uploads more than 6GB per week, thus over-consuming bandwidth, will be blocked from access to the Internet automatically by program. However, uploading and downloading internally network is not limited to that 15G maximum.
5.4 It is absolutely prohibited to maintain the public dormitory-net equipment without authorization or damage network equipment. Anyone who, on purpose, damages the line, materials, or any other network equipment or hinders the regular transmission of the Internet signal will be deprived of access to the Internet.
5.5 All the network lines must be UTP. To efficiently improve the transmission rate and ensure Internet connection quality, it is not allowed to use flat telephone line.
5.6 Be cautious while shopping for a Network Interface Card. Do not use a Network Interface Card of uncertain quality, or it may affect the transmission rate of the whole network.
5.7 To avoid electricity leakage disabling the whole network, please ground your computer.
5.8 Please make sure that you follow the regulations and netiquettes while getting on the campus network.
5.9 To avoid any problem, please comply with the machine denomination r egulations and IP Address regulations while using network resources.
5.10 To avoid a too-heavy network load severely influencing the network quality, please do not overuse the network share or play on-line game too much.
5.11 It is absolutely prohibited to segment subnet or set up a Router.
5.12 Process of reporting a breakdown and requesting repair: (CDPA maintains the network only, not your computer.)
a. Does the machine itself malfunction? Did you execute software improperly?
b. Are any of the connectors in your room unplugged? Is there any electricity leakage from your personal computer?
c. You can report problems and ask for repair on the website http://dormnet119.cdpa.nsysu.edu.tw/?lang=en.
d. The job of CDPA is to manage the network usage and to deal with some simple breakdowns. Any breakdown of hardware will be maintained by the Computer Center or manufacturers.
Dormitory-net Configure Setting Instruction
The network configure setting of WINDOWS XP
Step 1: Click on the Start button. Click on the Settings tab → Control Panel → Network (and Dial-Up) Connections.
Step 2: Double-click on the Local Area Connection icon.
Step 3: The dialogue box of Local Area Connection shows up. Click on the Properties tab.
Step 4: Double-click on the TCP/IP tab. If TCP/IP does not come up, click on the install tab → Protocol → TCP/IP.
1. Fill in the assigned IP Address in IP Address tab.
2. Fill in the assigned subnet mask in the subnet mask tab.
3. Every different IP Address will have a different Default Gateway.
4. Fill in “184.108.40.206” in Preferred DNS Server tab. Click OK. It is suggested to fill in another backup DNS Server “220.127.116.11”.
* Please refer to flyers on the dormitory gates, bulletin boards, and dormitory administrators for the assigned IP Address, Default Gateway, and Subnet Mask.