The Library adopts an open shelf policy. University readers may use a valid NSYSU ID to enter the library. However, the Library is also open to the general public. All users without a valid NSYSU ID must present a photo ID and sign in at the circulation counter for library entrance.
All patrons may use their valid NSYSU IDs to borrow library materials at the Circulation Counter. Materials should be returned to the Circulation Counter or the book return box at the front entrance of the library. Overdue materials should be brought directly to the Circulation Counter to pay fines.
With the exception of reference material, periodicals, newspaper and non-circulation material, all general collections can be checked out to users with a valid NSYSU/ Library card. Course Reserves have special loan period for 2 days or 4 hours, according to the stipulated restriction. Cassettes which are circulated can be borrowed for 2 days.
For general collection, please read the following rules to verify your borrowing privileges:
|Patron Type||Max Loan Items||Loan days||Max Renewals||Max Reserved Items||Course Reserves|
|Equivalent Academic Staff||30||30||1||5||2|
|Credit Classes Students||10||30||1||5||0|
1. Loaning IDs:
I. On Campus Readers: Student ID cards, Staffs ID cards or other valid ID cards
II. Off Campus Readers: ID cards that applied from the library
2. Proxy Borrowing readers should fill in the "Proxy Borrower Authorization Application Form", and bring it with their ID card to the library while loaning books. The form should consist the names of both parties, the date with signatures.
Remote Renewal is available seven days before the due dates. Please refer to the loan rule table to verify maximum renewal privileges for different patron types. Each renewal will be good for one loan period.
Via the Library Online Catalog, using the "VIEW your circulation record" option users can select "Display CHECKED OUT items" to make remote renewals. Take note of the reply message after online renewal to confirm if the renewal has been accepted.
Please note that under following circumstances, items can not be renewed online:
*The item is overdue.
*Other patrons have placed a reservation on the item.
*The item has been renewed too many times.
*It is too soon to renew the item.
You may request a checked out book to be reserved when it is returned. A reserve request on a checked out book is only accepted on the Library Online Catalog.
To make a reserve request online please search the title in the Library Webpac (https://dec.lib.nsysu.edu.tw/), and choose option "Request Item". Then fill in the patron's name and ID/barcode number. Reserve requests may be cancelled by using the "VIEW your circulation record" option of the Library Online Catalog. Then select the "Display RESERVED items" and follow the menu instructions.
If the book has already been on loan for more than one loan period, it should be returned within a week. A pickup notice will be sent to the requester when the book is returned and it will be reserved at the Circulation Counter for no longer than 5 days.
All checked out items are subject to be recalled after a reserve request is put by other users. If an item is recalled, a Recall Notice will be sent to the user. The user should return the item by the date printed on the recall notice. Please note that if a book has already been on loan for more than one loan period, it should be returned within a week.
Via the Library Online Catalog, by using the "VIEW your circulation record" option users can select the " Display RESERVED items" to view their held records.
After a reader loans or reserves the material, the library will send E-mails to inform the due dates, overdue, the arrival of the reserved books or recall notices. These are to notify and remind the reader regarding on renewal, return or retrieve the books.
1. Info of the mails:
- Due Date Notifying Notice: The mail will be sent automatically to the readers a week before the due date. Please remember to return the books or renew them.
- Overdue Notice: If the book is overdue, the system will send this E-mail to the readers with the list of books that are overdue. Please return the books as soon as possible.
- The Arrival of the Reserved Books Notice: When the book you reserved has been returned, you will receive this mail. Please come to retrieve it in 5 days.
- Recall Notice: If the book you hold has been reserved by other readers, the system will send you this E-mail to inform you to return the book on time.
2. E-mail address changing: The E-mails will be sent to your school mailbox. If you wish to change the address, please login to your personal loaning record and change your info.
PS: This is just a reminder; one should remember the due date or check on one’s personal loaning record.
Materials should be returned to the Circulation Counter or the book return box at the front entrance of the library.
1. Borrowing Period: starting from the day the book is loaned, the loaning period could be 180 days, 30 days, 21 days, 14 days etc. according to one’s identity (please refer to the table above). Weekends and public holidays will be counted in the loaning period; however, the system will not include days as book returning days.
2. Date reading: The date will be shown in the form of dd/mm/yy.
3. Loaning period during semester breaks might be vary, please refer to the notice.
As a courtesy, the library sends notices for overdue via email. However, users are responsible for all fines incurred even if an overdue notice is not received by the user. All overdue materials are fined NT$5 per day per item. Under certain circumstances, there may be three graceful days. Borrowing privileges are suspended when fines are over NT$150. Students' graduation procedure will be blocked unless all fines are paid.
Via the Library Online Catalog, by using the "VIEW your circulation record" option users can select the " Display FINES" to view their fine records.
Penalty for losing or destroying the borrowed
Readers lost or destroyed what is borrowed. The borrower should take responsibility for buying the new version or the abridged version of the same item; otherwise, the borrower should pay five times the original price of the lost item.
If the borrower is willing to pay in cash but the original price cannot be tracked. Library will ask the borrower to pay according to the pages of the item; for example, NT$5 per page for Chinese items; NT$20 per page for English items; books within 100 pages will be counted as 100 pages. If the lost item is part of a set of books and the library is not able to purchase the original version of the set of books, the borrower should pay the price of the set of books instead of just paying for the lost one. The borrower cannot own the rest of the set of books even though the price of the set of books has been paid.
If the reader has already returned the book, but still the book is still under the account, please inform us with methods below:
1. Send us an E-mail with the books’ info and the issue under this address email@example.com
2. Ask the staff at 3rd floor circulation desk
3. Give us a call, tell us your ID number, name and the books info, the staffs will help you.
We will jot the information down in our Declare Return form, then pass it to our staffs to renew the book before searching for it. This is to prevent fines. We will inform the readers the searching progress.
Penalty for losing or damaging the borrowed
Readers lost or damaged what is borrowed. The borrower should take responsibility for buying the new version or the abridged version of the same item; otherwise, the borrower should pay five times the original price of the lost item.
If the borrower is willing to pay in cash but the original price cannot be tracked. Library will ask the borrower to pay according to the pages of the item; for example, 5NTD per page for Chinese items; 20NTD per page for English items; books within 100 pages will be counted as 100 pages. If the lost item is part of a set of books and the library is not able to purchase the original version of the set of books, the borrower should pay the price of the set of books instead of just paying for the lost one. The borrower cannot own the rest of the set of books even though the price of the set of books has been paid.
Magazines and Journals
i. This year’s issues (current issues): 5th floor
ii. Back issues: Distributed across the floors according to their subject and topic. Please look it up in our system for easier access.
※Library space loan (please use iSpace Booking System to make reservation)
1. Distribution location and quantity: There are 7 research rooms on the 4th floor, and 14 research rooms on the 5th to 8th floors.
2. Borrowing period:
i. 14 days: 7-8th floor research room.
ii. Loan and return on the same day: research room on the 4th to 6th floor.
1. Small Rooms: for 3 to 6 people, we have 6 rooms in total, located on the 1st, 6th and 7th floor.
2. Big Rooms: for 6 to 12 people, we have 4 rooms in total, located on the 4th and 8th floor.
3. Projector is available in the rooms.
Lockers are located at the west side of 3rd floor. The library will not take responsibilities if anything is lost.
1. Wooden Lockers: For storing personal items for a short period
2. Lockers with locks: Only for students, faculties and staffs in NSYSU, one will have to pay for the locker. The information regarding on applying for one will be announced before each semester starts.